Choosing a Kitchen Remodel Company
Simple Methods to Help You Find the Best Contractor for Your Kitchen Dreams
Our lives are constantly changing and evolving, including how we enjoy our homes. You may have started dreaming about what it would look like to cook, serve, and entertain in one central area: your kitchen.
The tricky part comes in when it’s time to hire a company to carry out the remodeling process. How do you find someone you can trust, who’ll listen to your dreams, as well as who’ll follow a budget and a set timeline?
If you live in Lancaster County or its surrounding counties, it makes sense to hire a local company to get the job done.
But first, you need to determine what you’re looking for in your new kitchen. Here are some thoughts to consider before making that appointment for a consultation:
- How much can you afford for a kitchen remodeling project?
- Do you want to partially renovate or do you want to gut your current kitchen and start over?
- What do you like and dislike about your current kitchen?
- What rooms and space would be included in this remodel?
- What new appliances are you looking for?
- What type of kitchen layout and design are you hoping to achieve?
- What’s your kitchen going to be used for—cooking, entertaining, family meals or all three?
Once you have an idea of how extensive you want your kitchen to be remodeled, it’s time to decide who’ll be handling your project. You should be looking for a company that will incorporate the entire remodeling process under one umbrella, such as providing a designer, project manager, and various subcontractors who will be involved with the project.
And it’s recommended to hire a company that also designs and builds cabinets, as well as provides all of the other materials that are needed for a kitchen remodel, such as countertops and flooring.
You can find out who’s the best fit for you by studying a kitchen remodeling company’s website. Here are some things that you should be looking for in a reputable company:
- The website contains ample pictures of their projects
- The website has client testimonials
- The company belongs to various organizations, such as the Building and Industry Association of Lancaster County and the Lancaster Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as well as national organizations, like the National Kitchen and Bath Association
- The company offers a free report so you can understand the cost and value of a kitchen remodel project
- The company explains its remodeling process and who’ll be involved during each phase of the renovation
- Their FAQ page answers some of the questions that you have about hiring them
- A good company should offer you a free consultation with a designer who’ll listen to your dreams
- The designer, in turn, should also be willing to advise you whether your dream matches your budget.
Before you make an appointment with a designer, make sure that you write down any questions that you would have concerning the entire renovation process. Here are some questions to ask your designer:
- Where will everyone be parking?
- Where will workers use the bathroom, eat their lunches, and take their breaks?
- What will your house look like at the end of each work day?
- Will the contractor and/or designer take responsibility for getting all permits ready before work starts on your home?
- Does the designer make eye contact with you?
- Does he answer your questions?
- If he doesn’t know the answers to your questions, is he willing to find that answer for you?
Finally, you should feel free to go to your designer with any questions or conflicts that may arise. And you can expect that a reasonable resolution will be met after talking to him.
Once you meet with your designer, he will draw up a preliminary plan for you to approve. As part of the planning process, you’ll be picking out new flooring, cabinetry, and countertops.
Here are some more questions to consider before you commit to a remodel company to handle your project:
- Does the company offer a variety of cabinets that are custom made, semi-custom made, as well as offer stock cabinetry?
- Do they carry a variety of countertops that are made out of various materials?
- Do they carry a variety of flooring options?
- Do they carry hardware and plumbing materials?
- Do they offer you custom-made woodworking from local companies?
- Do they provide all of the subcontractors?
- Do they trust their subcontractors to be honest and hard-working?
Getting your kitchen remodeled is an exciting experience, and there’s a lot to decide before you sign a contract. If you can answer the above questions based on what you found on a company’s website, you’re already on the right path to getting your kitchen remodeled.
If you live in Lancaster County or its surrounding counties, and you’re planning to remodel your kitchen, it’s time to start brainstorming ideas and finding a local professional who can get your project completed on time and on budget.Back to Blog
Check out our gallery for design inspiration & more examples of our workVisit Our Project Gallery